[Rhodes22-list] Genoa size and usage

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:23:22 EDT 2007

Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net>
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] David Culp, Sailing Texas and Spinnaker Pole
To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org

Ed:

<<Welcome back from Hollywood, Texas.>>

Yes, that's a pretty accurate description of where I am for better or worse.

Thanks for the info, I just put the boat back in the water, so when I pull
it again I will make the modifications for the topping lift.  With the
weight involved, I can see where that would be a necessity.  I really just
want it for light air days since I rarely have enough meat aboard to be very
active going downwind with a pole out doing 6 + knots like Rummy!  What a
rush that must have been.

Another question I have is: if you are mostly single-handed and the locale
in which you sail requires lots of maneuvering, would you not be better off
with a smaller foresail (100-130) fully furled with better shape versus the
big genoa which stays reefed a good amount of time on my boat?  I try to
keep the main full and reef the genoa to working size first because of all
the tacks I have to make and just accept the sail shape which quickly goes
to pot.  If I had the asymmetrical spinnaker, I could furl it pole-less on
runs where it would do the most good and then douse it in favor of the
furler which is working a lot of the time on my lake anyway.

By the way, I think I have the 175 because when fully furled and close
hauled, the clew is back very near the winch.  I don't know for sure-can
anyone describe the clew location of the 150 when fully furled and
close-hauled?

Thanks,
David

David,

    Welcome back from Hollywood, Texas.

     I use a heavy duty Forespar spinnaker pole to pole out my Genoa.  I
use the heavy duty pole, a 6 to 12 adjustible one, recommended by a former
member of this forum who always over engineered for safety.  It attaches to
the front of my mast and I use a topping lift to hold it up.
     I also have a symetrical spinnaker from another boat.  I fly it
without any pole, but rather bull head it.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  At Lunch Time, Sit In Your Parked Car With Sunglasses on and
Point A Hair Dryer At Passing
Cars. See If They Slow Down.