[Rhodes22-list] Calm Before Storm

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Nov 2 09:30:11 EDT 2007

Went for a quick sail yesterday afternoon.  Winds were about 3 to 3.5 knots
so I wasn't flying, but thanks to my 175 genoa (Art) I was able to keep her
above 2 knots.  About 3 miles from the marina the wind died and due to time
constraints I had to power back home.  About a half mile from the marina the
wind went from zero to steady over 20 with 34 being my last measurement,
although that was the apparent wind powering 3.2 straight into the wind.
This all happened in less than ten minutes.  My motor speed into the wind
dropped 1.3 knots and the chop wasn't even that bad.  Didn't think the wind
could have that much of an effect.  Direction of the wind had changed 180
degrees.

It's amazing how sailing can change from beyond boring to hair-raising in no
time at all.  Getting back in the slip was ugly.  The boat was resting
sideways against my outside pilings.  Thanks goodness she's light enough to
singlemanhandle.

Lesson learned: Always keep one eye on the sky, and the other on your drink.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)