[Rhodes22-list] Bob Skinner's Car, more

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Sep 10 07:15:37 EDT 2007

Bob said, "I'd use a small diesel if any were offered."

There is a known to be good diesel out there.  Made by Volkswagon.  The same
engine is availabel is several of their models.  I would recommend going
brand new if your pocketbook would handle it.  I had one of the early rabbit
diesels.  The car wore out before the motor.

Again, if your wallet will handle it, go for a new one.  In Maine, you will
need to always add fuel addititive during the winter, but that is not a big
issue.  In fact in the back of my garage, I still might have some.  The
availabily is controlled by import restrictions on diesel engines rather
than VW's ability to make them.  The newest ones made in Mexico are reputed
to be of good quality.

You may be aware, there was a labor dispute in Mexico with VW some years
back.  It was over who really controlled production and quality.  There were
serious quality issues on the cars made in Mexico that nearly killed VW.  VW
was ready to close production in Mexico when the government and uniions
there yielded and let VW control quality.  They essentially built a new
plant and retooled everything.  So far the results seem to be what VW wants.

I looked hard at them when I got the used Focus.  For reasons stated by
Captain Lowe, I took the used Ford at less than half the price of a small
new VW.  My small personal car takes a lot of abuse and is subject to
vandalism, so I choose something less attractive.  If I were to pamper the
car, I would have gone VW diesel, even the ones made in Mexico.

However, if you got one, it might outlive you.  So think of its value to
your heirs.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Quote of the Day, "I have rarely spoken a word in favor of labor unions, and
then only when they were the last alternative to complete subjugation by
rich men lacking even the vestiges of ethical consciousness."  Bob Skinner