[Rhodes22-list] Removing motor for trailering

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 28 10:00:34 EDT 2007

Rory said, "Elton does not seem to have any trouble delivering boats all over
the country
with the motor attached."

And so does Stan.  Here are some considerations.

Age of boat.

Whether motor is two stroke (much less weight) than four stroke.

Is the boat positioned correctley on trailer?  Is there correct weight on
hitch?

Ask Rummy about the weight difference between two and four stroke engines.
I have a two stroke and it weighs about 60 pounds.  I have an older boat and
for transport usually put motor in van.  Since it only weighs 60 pounds, I
can do this by myself.  I usually take motor off and put in parking lot.

An eight horse power two stroke engine is sufficient for all uses of a
Rhodes 22.  For you guys with the 9.9, think what Stan himself uses.  This
is not to be confused with what he sells.  He has sold the 9.9 Yamaha
because of the detachable control that could be mounted on the tiller, not
because you need a 9.9 engine, and seemingly such engines are only available
in four stoke these days.  How much that that engine weigh?  How much stress
on the transom?

Someone said that they were going to turn in their old two stoke and get a
fancy four stoke.  A good small motor mechanic can make that old two stoke
run good.  Some of the four stokes, no mechanic can make run reliably.  Just
ask the mechanics at the marinas.  Ask Stan how upset he has gotten over
motor problems, even with new engines. It is a wonder that he even still
sells motors.

Get your old two stroke cleaned and tuned.  Those engines on sailboat are
good for thirty or forty years.  Is your engine that old?  I can take you to
Big Water Marina and show you a couple that old.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
addendum:  "GOD does not deduct from a man's allotted time, those hours
spent sailing."