[Rhodes22-list] Sailing,Steadying sail/anchor riding sail

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Mon Apr 7 10:03:53 EDT 2008

Ron,

I have IMF also but have a topping lift, you should be ble to run one as
there are sevel sheaves in the mast head.  It is just an over hand loop I
tied in the topping lift with a pelican hook as I recal that hooks to a
grommet at the head of the riding sail.  The clew is attached to the outhaul
and the foot (or perhaps the other way around, it depends on one's
perspective) to a line run to a mid boom cleat.  Really very simple. And you
are right, moving the boom off center does make the sail work much better.
Some of these sails are fasten to the back stay but this limits their
utility I think.  With a boom mount I can round up the bow to face oblique
waves as they work around a headland into an anchorage, it is a good
investment.

Chris G