[Rhodes22-list] Microsoft device helps police pluck evidence from cyberscene of crime

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Apr 30 17:59:05 EDT 2008

Their description of the device requires physical access for the device
(it's a USB device).

However, the software itself - what does the SOFTWARE require? The same
thing all other software requires, access to your machine.

If you're asking if someone could get a hold of the software, and then
(through other means, such as sypware, viruses, whatever) do the same
thing without you giving them access - the simple answer is yes.

However, that really doesn't scare me. There are some pretty bad
programs out there now that people are "letting into their systems" that
would worry me more, but I don't "let them into my systems" because I
understand what's going on.

You folks out there that aren't practicing safe computing... if I were
you, I'd have been worried LONG before this little ditty got passed out.

My company provides laptops to employees that are doing a "work at home"
test. The standard is - you do NOT use the laptop for anything but
business related activities. Do not go to non-business-related web
sites, do not install non-business-related software. So far, the
experiment is a failure. Not because of the technology, but because
people don't listen to those instructions, or don't obey them. Most
people "Know better" than we do.

Here's a real life example

"My computer got a virus"
You didn't follow our instructions.
"Yes I did"
Ok, bring it to us, we'll take a look.
Your computer has Firefox. Firefox isn't a bad program, but it has no
business application for us, because it won't work with the two primary
web sties we use. Why did you install Firefox.
"Because I like it better"
You like it better for what? It won't work with xxxx or xxxx because
both of them require Internet Explorer.
"Oh, I didn't know that"
Yes, because you didn't follow instructions
I saw you had iTunes. What business need did you have for iTunes?
"Um, I just like to listen to music while I work"
Great. I understand that. Buy a radio, or buy an iPod, or even play them
from YOUR computer, but don't put your music on OUR computer.
I saw you downloaded a file sharing program from
www.totallyillegalhacedmusicsite.com (not a real site, but you get the
idea). Those files "asked if you agreed to their terms", and you clicked
"yes". Why did you do that?
"Because I wanted to download the music"
You understand that's illegal?
"Um....no, I didnt" (probably lying)
You DO understand there's no business need for that right?
"Um, I do now".
OK, your "agreeing the terms" also installed a spyware program on the
computer. Fortunately, we don't store any patient information on the
computer, that's why you have to use a specific web site to access that
information; however, you did introduce several pieces of malware on
your computer when you did that. Do you understand it took me two hours
to fix the problem?
"Um, no... reallly?"
Yes, this is your warning. Next time we will charge YOU $200 to repair
OUR computer that YOU damaged. Do you understand now?
"Yes"
Again, do not go to non-business-related web sites, do not install
non-business-related software.If you do those things, you will have to
pay to clean your computer next time.
Welcome to my world.

The scary thing is that there are literally millions of computers out
there with malware on their computer (usually only reading address files
and giving them to spammers) and the ignorant among us are happily
computing away...