[Rhodes22-list] motor flushing/ non political

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Aug 27 17:49:07 EDT 2008

After every use if it is going to be sitting for more than a day or
two. The new Yamaha has a flushing port. Just hook up the hose and
let it run for 5 or 10 minutes. Motor doesn't have to be on.  Salt in
the cooling passages killed our old Honda so the flushing feature was
part of our decision on the Yamaha. The Hondas we looked at had a
similar mechanism but you had to take the cowling off to get to it.
Don't know if the Nissan/Tohatsu motors are as prone to saltwater
corrosion but we didn't want to risk it after killing the Honda. It
didn't have a flushing mechanism other than muffs or a bucket which
seemed to us to be too hard to do in the slip.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD