[Rhodes22-list] Chris Crispel

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jan 22 19:31:34 EST 2008

Chris,
The Rhodes will be really uncomfortable in big waves. It is after all
only 22 ft and displaces only 3000 lbs. It is sturdy and will take a
fair amount of pounding but you do have a large cockpit and a poptop
to consider. To fully close up the boat you have to tie the poptop
down and put in the companionway board. (The R22 has a single hinged
board.) The R22 will be dryer than most other boats its size because
of the flared hull. If the weather services are good enough and you
are willing to wait for weather windows you will probably be fine.
People have taken the R22 to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas. The Rhodes
will handle the occasional thunderstorm. There are a couple of
accounts in the FAQ that might interest you.

The first is an account by an admitted new sailor (at the time) and
former R22 owner David Dawson about his high wind sail on the
Chesapeake. Note that Chesapeake weather is not to be trifled with.
Winds that in open water would put up manageable 4 ft waves will put
up very steep waves with a very short period in the shallow water of the Bay.
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/dawson.html

The second is the account of a capsize in a severe thunderstorm
(microburst). It should be noted that larger boats also capsized that day.
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/capsize.html

There is also an account of a sail to the Dry Tortugas but they had
pretty benign conditions:
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/drytort.html

Best wishes,
Mary Lou