[Rhodes22-list] Need opinions...deadline approaching

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed Jul 23 11:45:20 EDT 2008

At 07:13 AM 7/23/2008 -0700, elle wrote:
>This is a calendar for the Eastern VA area....I got one in last year
>& am aiming for the cover this year...I cannot decide between these
>two...i've been looking at 'em for so long that I can't see 'em any
>more....these are small files for email...the originals are several MB each....

Couple observations from a different perspective -

1) The version with the bright foreground might give a calendar cover
a very unbalanced feeling; assuming they print full-bleed and there's
no border.  'Course we don't know what other info might be printed on
the cover (see next).

2) On the other hand, publishers often like to have that white space
for branding, titling, or other graphics that need to be clearly
visible.  If they can do it without ruining the integrity of the
scene, it's like a bonus.

Besides the technical elements and the artistic composition, it's
always good to think about the intend usage for the image and how to
make the "buyer's" life easier.  Often that makes the difference
among many good images.

Cheers!

John Lock