[Rhodes22-list] Ed K and Joe... good info

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Mon Jul 28 17:08:25 EDT 2008

Hi Rob,
You can sail right up to the town docks at Columbia which are an
extension of a walkway that leads under a bridge and then to a visitor's
center where there are some restrooms.  When at the docks you are right
on the edge of town.  Mac's is a couple of blocks in.  The Food Lion
grocery is one mile away, but there is a gas station fairly close to the
public restrooms where you can get ice.  When we were there in May, some
other sailors local to the area said there was a rumor that showers
would be added to the restrooms, but I don't know if that happened or not.
There is a neat boardwalk nature trail that continues into the woods at
Columbia.
Alligator river is a fair distance away from Columbia.  We were told
that the entrance to Alligator River could be navigationally challenging
depending on weather.  At any rate we didn't feel confident that we had
time to try it.  Maybe someone else on the list has sailed there and can
tell you more.  In fact, I'd like to hear from someone who has sailed on
the Alligator River.  We might want to try it someday.
Joe