[Rhodes22-list] Chosing Genoa by jimjim02

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Wed Jun 18 20:37:50 EDT 2008

Rummy,
Get an autohelm.  You can mix your drink, drink your drink
and fall asleep without broaching.
Unless the wind changes, a
problem solved with a remote control for your autohelm.  That way, you can
change course while mixing your second drink, third drink, or lying drunk
on the cabin floor.
Rick
> Slim,
> You have to
understand that going below, mixing a drink and getting back

> the helm prior to broaching is a real challenge. It's probably
one of the
> few
> that I have yet to conquer with the
Rhodes22.

> Rummy
>

> In
a message dated 6/18/2008 2:07:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

stevenalm at gmail.com writes:

> John, you're missing the
point. A fresh drink should be served as a
> bartender would
serve it. Fresh ice, rum and mix--or whatever.

Rummy, my friend, learn to heave to. It's the best way to briefly take a

> little break and do what needs to be done. Are you in a hurry
or
> something? It's easier than fussing with locking the tiller
down and
> trimming the sails perfectly so everything is balanced
and you can go
> below. Although I admit that's a worthy
challenge.

17, 2008 at 12:04 PM, KUHN, LELAND <LKUHN at cnmc.org> wrote:

>> "I learn something new every
time I go out." If an experienced sailor
>> feels that
way, it convinces me that I will never get bored of sailing.
>> Perfect total boat adjustment for all conditions would be
impossible to
>> experience, much less learn and remember.
It's got to be one of the
>> easiest sports to learn and the
absolute hardest to master.

>> I took out a
calculator and started doing the math.

>> If
you conservatively should make an adjustment for every 10 degree
>> directional change and every knot of wind change; and then
factor in
>> different combinations of current, chop,
headsail, mainsail,
>> centerboard, tiller, traveler, boom
height, alcohol consumption, mast
>> rake, stay tention, and
all standing/running rigging; then you would
>> need to learn
and remember over 99,999,999.99 adjustments. I don't
>> know

>> how much more because my calculator maxed out. I'm just now

>> discovering
>> the impact of adjusting the
loose foot of the main.

>> Now if I only had a