[Rhodes22-list] Anchor rode spaghetti

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Tue Jun 24 08:10:13 EDT 2008

hey John,
Seems like no matter what I do, the Anchor Rode Gnomes manage to tangle
my anchor rodes in between uses.
I have taken lately to flaking the rode out on the deck bitter end first
before dropping the anchor.  But I think I'm gonna try
the basket approach that Rummy mentioned for storage.  Only problem is
that 150' of rope makes a pretty good size pile when I'm retrieving the
anchor.
By the way, I've found a neat book on anchoring called "The Complete
Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl R. Hinz.  It's rather technical
in the first part, but has much practical information.  We've been
trying to master the flying fore and aft moor where we let go the stern
anchor as we pull into a cove, then after coming to a stop we let go the
forward anchor and I pull in some of the stern anchor rode and set the
forward anchor.  Easier done than explained.  But it keeps us more in
the middle of a small cove without the boat horsing around on one anchor.
Best,
Joe