[Rhodes22-list] Political - Book Report

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Tue May 20 10:12:25 EDT 2008

Brad,
Yes, I think Virginia would be better off if he sat out.  But from the
Democrats standpoint, they would love to win Virginia and Webb might help
there.  They Dems haven't won this state in years in a presidential race.
But this year they could possibly win it even if Webb sat out as the state
has elected two Democratic governors in a row now.  One of those, Mark
Warner, is running for the seat of retiring John Warner (no relation), long
time Republican Senator from Virginia.  Good chance he will win it (his
opponent in another former Governor, Jim Gilmore), which would give the
Democrats an additional Senate seat.  Should Webb's seat come open if he ran
and won the VP's position, there is a good chance the Republicans could take
that seat back, resulting in no net change.  I've heard some good things
about Jindal.  It's too bad when national politics takes well needed people
out of states that need them. - rob