[Rhodes22-list] Accounting

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 09:49:05 EDT 2008

Wally,

All BS statements, er, balance sheets are based on informed
assumptions (otherwise known as guestimates) and you raise a valid
question. What is the true value?  I'm guessing that if you took all
the bad mortgages, discounted them by some percentage for the
properties being overpriced at the time the mortgages were made (say
25%) and further discounted them for those that aren't performing (say
another 10%) you'd be in the ballpark of their true value. The 700
Billion plan would have basically cleansed the banks of their now
"worthless" securities because their is no longer a market for them,
and taxpayers would have recouped their money when the market absorbed
the very real, real estate.  I think we could have made money on the
deal.  If you took my best guess, market all the mortgages down 35%
and left them on the banks books as assets, poof, they are suddenly
solvent (and still punished for their bad behavior).

It will take a czar of some sorts to make this happen.  As was
demonstrated on Monday, the Congress is dysfunctional and there's good
reason their approval rating is 9%.

My 2 cents worth, which just saved us $699,999,999,999.98.

Brad