[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Sailing the Rhodes 22

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Wed Oct 1 10:49:31 EDT 2008

Hi Wally,
Sharon and I trailer sail our Rhodes 22.  We find that extending the
trailer tongue to launch and retrieve is the most
aggravating thing about it.  Otherwise things go quite smoothly with the
mast hoist system.  It just takes time and patience.
It takes us about 1.5 to 2 hours to rig and launch.  That's from parking
at the launch ramp to parking the truck and
trailer.  The best tip is to minimize the amount of time you spend
getting on and off the boat through planning your
work.  We tow with a Chevy 2500 Silverado.  We usually get 16 -18 mpg on
the highway without towing.  On the way
back across the Smoky Mountains from Edenton we got about 12 mpg average
towing the Rhodes.
Going up steep hills usually slows us down to 40 or 45.  We found the
boat tows well at 55 mph.
So far, I've always just jumped in the water and led Harmony onto the
trailer.  The trailer extension is a pain, but also
very nice as it gets you far  enough into the water to avoid having to
use muscle power to launch.
Hope this helps.
Joe