[Rhodes22-list] Failure or success?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:10:59 EDT 2008

Ben,

This article (below) from the WaPo just crossed my radar screen. I
think both parties are in disarray and both need new leadership.  Eric
Cantor looks promising for the R's and I'll continue to root for Gene
Taylor (who mostly stays under the radar coverage) for the D's.

McCain never was much of a Republican which is why he was probably the
best (and lucky) choice for this election cycle.  Sarah is more
Libertarian in ideology than anything else and is just as likely to
mark a bullseye on an R as a D based on her previous history.

And Barack is what?  Are we evaluating the Barry of January 08 or the
Barry of Fall 08?  It's kind of hard to pin this guy down.  I think
I'll just stick with the Barry of 1995, polished race baiter,
unaccomplished lawyer and community organizer, friends of terrorists,
and financial benefactor of monies from convicted felons.

Brad

----------------------

Rescue Package Not the Only Loser In House's Vote

By Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 1, 2008; A04

There were no winners when the House voted down the economic rescue
package on Monday. The collective breakdown of leadership in
Washington left political wreckage rivaling that in the financial
markets -- and it spread across the spectrum.

Who were the losers from Monday's debacle? Certainly President Bush,
whose virtual lame-duck status does not fully describe the apparent
limits of his power to make things happen at this moment. The
Washington Post-ABC News poll taken Monday night showed another drop
in his approval rating, to its lowest point of his presidency -- 26
percent, with 70 percent disapproving.

The president was slow to sound the alarms to the public as the crisis
deepened, and he ceded most authority to Treasury Secretary Henry M.
Paulson Jr. When he finally stepped up, he was unable to rally either
public opinion or members of his own party behind a rescue package
that bore his stamp of approval.

His speech last week was notable for the clarity with which he
described the threat to the economy and equally notable for the lack
of impact it had on public opinion or Republicans in Congress. For all
he was able to do to put the crisis into understandable terms, he
could not convince enough Americans that the rescue package was aimed
as much at protecting their finances as it was at protecting greedy
financial firms and executives.

in a political party that aspires to majority status. A veteran of a
past Republican administration could barely spit out his contempt
Monday at the actions of the House Republicans. "They would rather be
right in their views -- that ideology counts more, that ideology is
crucial in any decision -- rather than making incremental progress,"
he said.

The vote Monday underscored the political disarray within the party.
House Republicans reflect the ideological purity of the conservative
movement, but they are not by any means representative of a governing
majority in the country.

The party's nomination battle did nothing to resolve those divisions
and probably simply papered them over through the election. If John
McCain loses to Barack Obama in November, the party is in for a long
period of infighting and introspection. If McCain wins, he may be
confronted with many of the same problems Bush has faced through much
of his second term -- a president in serious disagreement with at
least part of his party.

The Republican Party is leaderless and lacking in cohesion. The
president is certainly not in charge. McCain sought to exert power
over the party to no avail, and in the process he raised more
questions about his own style of leadership. None of the congressional
leaders have stepped up.

House Republican leader John Boehner's performance has been truly
mystifying. Last Wednesday he issued a joint statement with Speaker
Nancy Pelosi touting the bipartisan progress being made on the
package. The next day, at the White House, he was promoting an
alternative plan in the name of House Republicans that caught
Democrats and Paulson totally by surprise.

On Monday, he and House Republican Whip Roy Blunt were confident they
had the votes needed to pass the rescue package, but they turned out
to be lousy vote counters. When the bill went down, he and Blunt and
Rep. Eric Cantor all blamed Pelosi for scaring off a dozen of his
colleagues with what he called an overly partisan speech.

Peter Wehner, a former Bush administration official, wrote Tuesday on
the National Review blog that the Republican leaders' excuse was
"foolish and irresponsible." "On one of the most important votes they
will ever cast, insisting 'the speech made me do it' is lame and
adolescent," he wrote.

Still, Pelosi deserves no praise for her leadership on Monday. Even
stipulating that we are in the closing weeks of one of the most
important political campaigns in a generation, her inability to rise
above the tendency to score political points was inexcusable. Monday's
vote was a moment to set aside those instincts and talk about the
package as an example of Washington's ability to work cooperatively in
a time of crisis.

Instead, Pelosi accused Bush of economic policies that create
"budgetary recklessness" and "an anything-goes mentality." And she
closed with a partisan call to arms. "In the new year, with a new
Congress and a new president," she said, "we will break free with a
failed past and take America in a new direction to a better future."

Pelosi's partisan rhetoric has been echoed, though less prominently,
by Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid, who has sounded grudging in
his comments about the Democrats' willingness to participate in
finding a solution to a problem that he argues is wholly the fault of
Bush and the Republicans.

Obama may bear less of the blame for what happened Monday than others,
but largely because he put less on the line than McCain. Perhaps that
was the right posture to take for a presidential candidate who has at
best only limited authority to get into the thick of the negotiations.
But he will get less credit if and when anything finally passes.

The voters will sort out the blame on all this in November. Anger at
Washington will feed a hunger for change, and it's likely to fall
harder on the GOP as the party that holds the White House. But for the
next president and the next Congress, whatever its makeup, Monday's
performance should be looked at as an example of what it was, a
performance designed to undermine the public's confidence in its
elected leadership.