[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Sailing the Rhodes 22

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Wed Oct 1 15:57:13 EDT 2008

Quoting "webx2 at netzero.com" <webx2 at netzero.com>:
Wally B, We have pulled our Rhodes 22 with Chevy Tahoe, Ford Explorer, Lincoln
Towncar and '69 GMC PU (6 cyl) all with little difficulty, The first tow with
the Tahoe the hitch on the vehicle was higher than the hitch on the other tow
vehicles.  At higher x-way speeds there was an occasional sway. We tried
another hitch that lowered the hitch ball and were back to smooth 65-70
MPH and
no problems. We have not experienced a great deal of sway do to passing
vehicles
or semi-trucks. The Rhodes pulls easy, it is the in and out of water is where
you can be challenged. The clutch on our '69 3 on the tree was not happy on a
couple pull outs. Like any boat ramp, the angle, length and surface make BIG
differences in difficulty. Going too deep at a ramp and allowing your trailer
to drop off the hard surface ramp to a void at the end of the ramp created by
power boats powering up will make a bad day. Common trailer sense i.e.
everything well secured with no loose flapping lines or parts is important. We
have never experienced any difficulty stopping our Rhodes, Be sure to
double/triple the hitch it is another bad day if your Rhodes passes you. Gas
mileage has never been accurately calculated or recorded. Rigging prior to
launch vs launch & rig are 50/50. Rigging and launching then finding a leak or
other problem is a waste of time & effort. Lauching and finding some or your
rigging is missing is another loss of effort & time. We have been able
to enjoy
sailing in different waters too far to sail to with non trailer boats and too
challenging for smaller boats. Now compare other 22 foot (plus/minus) boats. I
don't have enough time. The features are documented in sales brochures and by
current Rhodies. One feature only one boat can claim is General Boats Stan.
Good Luck, Jim