[Rhodes22-list] Bavaria

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 22:41:55 EDT 2008

Andrew,

You got that right, they know beer!  UPS has their European operations
based in Cologne and their crews stayed in the same hotel as us.
Every night there would be a new UPS crew from Louisville checking in
at the same time we were returning from Paris and often it was their
first time to Germany.  Delta also stayed there but they knew their
way around.  Anyway, I'd have to explain that if you're going to
guzzle, you need to order in advance because beer won't be served
until the head has settled to just the right point.

I have a pretty nice collection of beer steins from those days
including one Budvar glass.  You may know the story.  When Budweiser
decided to expand to Europe in the 80's, the Budvar brewery dug their
old agreement with Auggie Busch that said they wouldn't compete for
150 years and it hadn't been a 150 years yet.

One of my favorite cities in China is Qinhangdao, an old German
settlement that they lost after WW1. When the Chinese took over they
didn't care much for the architecture but they kept the beer.

Brad