[Rhodes22-list] Brad, Andrew, Chris G., Rummy, et. al. Your topic makes MSM!(Not Political?)(Social Affliction?)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 09:07:49 EDT 2008

Ed,

It gets worse (see below).

Brad

----------------------

    Oprah Winfrey's mother should not have to pay a high-end fashion
store the more than $150,000 it says it is owed because the store
extended credit despite knowing her troubles managing debt, according
to a new court filing.

    Valentina Inc. sued Winfrey's mother, Vernita Lee of Milwaukee, in
July, contending that she racked up a bill of $155,547.31 in purchases
and interest as of July 1. She was required to make a minimum monthly
payment of $2,000 to the store, the suit says.

    Mediation between the two sides failed last week, prompting Lee to
file a counterclaim contending she does not owe the money.

    The account is "unconscionable, and therefore, unenforceable
because Valentina knowingly and unfairly took advantage of Lee's lack
of knowledge, ability, and/or capacity when Valentina created the
account," the civil lawsuit says.

    It is the second time Lee and Valentina have been in conflict over
her wardrobe bill.

    In 2002, Lee was ordered to pay $35,000 upfront and make monthly
payments of $5,000 until another past-due bill of $174,285 was paid,
according to court records.

    As part of the resolution of that case, a court order dismissing
the case included the phrase, "Valentina Boutique, Inc., shall not at
any time extend further store credit to the Defendant, Vernita Lee."

    The 2002 case was dismissed as long as Lee made the payments,
which she did, according to the counterclaim.

    Lee has had an open-ended charge account with Valentina since
January 2004, according to the recent civil case.

    Lee also contends that the store violated the Truth in Lending Act
by not disclosing the finance charge and annual percentage rate in the
account more conspicuously.