[Rhodes22-list] Sports: Check out brackets

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:01:53 EDT 2008

Mike,

When the market melted down in October of 1987 I was actually on
vacation in Germany and wasn't following the news.  Not that it
mattered, I had a negative or near zero net worth at the time anyway,
but, my best friend was a stockbroker a few years older than me who
had accumulated a substantial nest egg. He had actually moved a number
of his elderly clients out of the market in the prior months but kept
taking bigger and bigger risks personally.  I forget the exact product
he was gambling with but it had a $20,000 per day automatic stop loss.
He walked to/from his office every day and day one he says to himself,
"it's only money, tomorrow it will come back".  By the seventh trading
day he's walking home from his office about to give himself a pep talk
and he goes, "you've lost $140,000! That's a lot of f---in' money!"

He recovered but it took a few years.  I'm too chicken to look at my
401K, now a 201K.

Brad