[Rhodes22-list] Accounting

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Oct 4 17:47:07 EDT 2008

Brad,

Here on LI the local real estate taxes have already been increased
substantially based on a lower available base and significantly increasing
costs.  It seems that the snow removal contracts to augment the town fleet
are double what they were 3 years ago, the cost of salt for winter roads is
approaching the price of gold and the pension plan contributions are at
record levels.

Good luck.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Brad Haslett" <flybrad at gmail.com>Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2008
3:15 PM
Wally,

Not yet.  The buyer's closing on his house sale was moved to Monday
and the closing on mine to Wednesday. He's moving in my house this
weekend anyway. Keep your fingers crossed.

One little side note, the appraisal on my house came in about $20,000
less than what it appraised for 5 years ago when I refinanced it. I
had already offered it for sale at a huge discount so that won't be a
factor on the deal closing.  What will be a factor that I haven't seen
anyone discuss is this - cities across the country have been
aggressively raising additional property taxes based on inflated home
values.  If homeowners start pressing the issue and ask for
re-easements based on actual market values, some municipalities are
going to have to shrink services to remain solvent. I could see this
being a huge issue in some of the previous "hot" markets.

Brad