[Rhodes22-list] sailing sense #2 or something you already know/moving shrouds

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sun Oct 5 19:13:04 EDT 2008

Luis,

   You are correct in thinking the force applied would increase due to
angular changes induced by shortening the spreaders. In order to reduce the
complexity of the problem I would keep the 90* angle where the stay meets
the chain plate. You should also consider the reduction in leverage due to
moving the mast load in to approximately 3' from the boats centerline from
its' normal 4'. It seems to me any potential problem in this area could be
solved by using 5/32 wire instead of the 1/8 which I believe is our standard
wire.

John Shulick
S/V Delilah