[Rhodes22-list] Engine problems again

Alan Robertson bigal_61 at msn.com
Mon Oct 6 12:26:50 EDT 2008

Tom,
There are 2 possibilities other than a  starter that died.
1. If you can find where the wires that go into the motor head (cover off) are bare, put a 12 volt test lamp across the wires. if it lights up then you know that you are getting power from the battery; if no light, check connections at the battery, clean off the terminals reattach and tighten.

2. The throttle interlock grounds the starter circuit when shift lever is in "forward" and "reverse" position to prevent cranking when in gear. Sometimes this interlock sticks when shift is returned to neutral position. With cover off, and throttle grip 1/2 way open, shift forwards and backwards to see if interlock is working properly. On Johnson's and Evinrudes. this would be on your left as you face the front of the motor and a spring loaded lever should move up and down making contact with something that looks like a small round coil. If it makes this contact when shift is in neutral position, the starting circuit is "grounded out" and starter won't crank. Interlock needs adjustment for clearance, a new spring installed, which generally needs do be done in the shop.

Our '96 Johnson starts so well (on 3 pulls on the cord when cold) that when our electric start has conked out occasionally, we just let it go, start on manual for the rest of the season and let the shop check it out when we bring the motor in in Oct. for "winterizing" and storage. Cheaper that way if sshop has a flat bench charge for each time of service.

Hope this helps

Bigal_61 @msn.dot com     ThorIV on Lake George NY