[Rhodes22-list] Fall line, no political content

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:32:06 EDT 2008

Tootle

The term fall line did come out of a box, which in this case is a branch of
science called physics, and denotes the line of descent down a slope that
maximizes the pull of gravity, i.e. the steepest gradient.

I know what heaving to is, but I was describing altering course to a broad
reach so the boat would sail/surf down the face of the swell as it passed
under the boat with the wind and the shortest distance to the trough aligned
. This caused less heeling as the boat was not sailing across the inclined
face of the wave, but down it. Once in the trough, I hardened up and resumed
a reach, then repeated. Hence the zig-zag course. It is not heaving to. You
seem to have misunderstood me yet again.

The glossary you attached does not list a term that describes the
relationship of the alignment of the topography of slope and gravity. Fall
line, in this sense appears to be useful and applicable, even if the slope
is liquid and in motion.

You do know what a gradient is, don't you? Or do you need to go back to
school to learn that as well as some other lessons having to do with being
civil? Amazing what a little science can clarify. This stuff even applies to
South Carolina.

This will allow the guy in South Carolina to understand the guy on LI Sound.
'Fall line', it even has a nice ring to it.

Please note :

Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each
generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century,
civilization would die, and we should be savages again." Will and Ariel
Durant

You are also hypocritical in the subject line enforcement department, as you
always add something political at the end, but never indicate this in the
SL.

If you are going to pick on a post, at least do your homework. Is your
affliction bothering you again?

Thanks for the glossary, it is quite a nice one. It does not however, list
the meaning of 'surf' or 'surfing'.

Andrew
sv Carmen