[Rhodes22-list] Fw: regatta photos

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 12:03:21 EDT 2008

Hi, folks,

I see not much has changed over the past three days ...maybe a few more non-pol posts have sneaked in...better get used to it...someone's going to lose....;^)

Anyhow, for the past three days I've been working the regatta & shooting photos...thought you'd like to see a few...

All were taken on the lower Rappahannock River, mouth of the Corrotoman (that's Kore-a TOE -man) River, just above the Norris Bridge.

All boats or designs are 25 yrs old or older....we had skipjacks,Cape Dorys, a Hinckley, a Hylas, (those last two were REALLY fast....) a beautiful gaff rigged boat...absolutely gorgeous weather...you can see from the heel on the boats that winds were perfect....

I went out on the marina's Whaler (our fireboat "Squirt" ) with the owner & two other newspaper photographers...one photog was shooting video for their website...the other was shooting stills...Just a few minutes after leaving the marina the still photog's camera died...totally...well, guess who was still shooting still...;^) ...

So for this week I'm a stringer & will get paid the stringer's rate...a smile, a handshake...and photo credits ;^)

It was very rough on the water...winds were @ 12-15.with gusts higher....the Whaler is not the driest nor the most stable boat made...;^)...To get the best shots w/o anything in the way (and to keep the lens somewhat dry) I had to stand atop a storage container that was higher than the gunnels...I told the guy w/the dead camera that if he wanted good shots he had to keep me in the boat by hook , by crook, or whatever he could get hold of (within reason, of course!) as it is easier to frame by not leaning against the boat but by moving with the boat. I now have a new best friend...;^)

Out of @ 250 photos I only had one each of the sky and water, and one of the rail....

More to come later if y'all would like.....more certainly of the unique older boats.

elle

..

-