[Rhodes22-list] Outdoor Storage ? ?

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:50:12 EDT 2008

Rick,

How does a boat on stands suffer more stress than a boat in the water?  The
IMF mast offers the same wind resistance whether in the water or on stands
so how does that make a difference.  Thousands of boats are stored every
winter on jack stands with the mast up with no detrimental effects.

Certainly, the boat sits a little differently on stands than it does in the
water, but I don't see how this could place more stress on the rigging and
chain plates.  The hull just doesn't flex that much.  And if you were really
worried about it, just loosen the turn buckles a turn or two while on the
stands.  The mast will still have plenty of support since it is unloaded and
not withstanding the pressure of sailing.  By the way, actually sailing your
boat puts MUCH more stress on the rigging and chainplates than being at rest
either in the water or on the hard.  The rigging and the chainplates are
designed for this.

I'm sorry, but your statement just doesn't make any sense.

Hank