[Rhodes22-list] Outdoor Storage ? ?

EmailUser sloopblueheron sloopblueheron at isp.com
Wed Oct 15 21:09:55 EDT 2008

Hank,

As Andrew says, the rigging and hull react differently to wind on the mast
in the water as opposed to when the boat is stiffly supported by jack
stands.  Under sail, the mast distributes the force evenly in one
direction rather than wobbling as it does when bare.

Another problem with storing the boat with the mast up is you don't get a
chance to inspect and oil the stays in the spring.  Also, mast up storage
raises the center of gravity making toppling more likely.

My club won't store boats with masts up because our insurance prohits it,
probably due to the toppling factor.  A very good sailboat yard next door
does store boats mast up, but only if the masts are keel mounted.

Rick