[Rhodes22-list] Question for Brad about capital shortages (Economic question about politics)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:59:19 EDT 2008

Ed,

That is an excellent question and one I don't have a ready answer to.
My gut feeling is that it is and will be a huge factor. I manage a
significant chunk of change for my sister-in-law that is invested in
US tax-free municipal bonds - that money is safe and will remain here.
She and I had a long discussion this summer while in Beijing about
investing in the China equities market and she advised against it,
preferring to invest herself in Chinese real estate (as we have
ourselves).  We had an update on that conversation last weekend via
phone and she softened her stance because of what is happening in the
US stock market.  Capital is the easiest commodity to move around the
world to the "kindest" markets.  I'll do some research on it and get
back to you.  Again, my gut tells me there is indeed a "flight to
safety" taking place as you suggest.

Brad