[Rhodes22-list] Question for Brad about capital shortages (Economic question about politics)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:37:26 EDT 2008

Ben,

Your reference to Swiss bankers reminds me of a story from my
economics professor in grad school.  An economist visited a small town
high in the Swiss Alps and asked the locals what their economy was
based on.  "We do the laundry for the next town across the valley".
He visited the neighboring village and asked the same question.  "We
do the laundry for the next town across the valley". Moral of the
story - there has to be some underlying beneficial activity in
economy, ie, you have to produce something of value.

My source of information for all things related to banking, my
backyard neighbor and commercial loan portfolio manager for a regional
bank, returned to Chicago recently to get back to his first love,
energy lending (mostly coal mines) so I'll have to wing it on my own.

You probably understand the federal reserve system as well as I do,
but basically, it was an evaporation of required reserves (equity)
that caused the current meltdown.  Mark to market accounting (an
over-reaction to Enron) dried up bank reserves and a loss in
confidence in other banks slowed lending to a crawl.  Banks aren't
"hoarding" cash in their vault - they don't have cash to begin with,
that's the problem.

I posed an interesting theory to my wife last week that someone was
"toying" with our equities markets to generate so much volatility. My
sister-in-law, the former CFO for greater Asia for a large American
company, said out of the blue this weekend, "someone is jerking the
American stock market around".  Neither she nor I are conspiracy
theorists, just sane and rational people trying to make sense of an
irrational world.

What's going on here?  Please look into your crystal ball Ben and tell
me first.  This is starting to hurt.

Brad