[Rhodes22-list] POLITICAL- Is the Powell Endorsement Important for Us?

Ben Cittadino bcittadino at dcs-law.com
Mon Oct 20 11:01:55 EDT 2008

Colleagues;

As those of you who follow the political posts on this list undoubtedly
know, Gen. Colin Powell (ret.)endorsed the candidacy of Sen. Obama yesterday
on the NBC Sunday news show "Meet the Press".
Is this an important development worthy of sober reflection and
reconsideration by those who have heretofor supported Sen. McCain, or is it
simply a matter of expected racial politics, or something else?

My view is that this endorsement represents a very important development.
Here's why:

Colin Powell is an indisputably loyal American.  He served as Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest ranking uniformed military position
in our Country during the first Gulf War. He was President Reagan's National
Security Advisor, on of the most sensitive intelligence posts in our
Country. He was Secretary of State under President GW Bush, the first
Jamaican/American to serve in a Presidential Cabinet. His personal courage
is beyond question having been personally decorated for bravery during
service in Vietnam.  In 2007 he donated the maximum amount allowed by law to
the McCain campaign.

While there are those among us who discount endorsements, and say that they
make up their own minds, I am not so sure of my own opinions on these
subjects that I am unwilling to consider the opinions of others, especially
when the others are in a position to make better judgements than mine, and
where the others are people who I have good reason to respect.

And so, what about Powell? He said about Sen. Obama on "Meet the Press":

 "his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign,
because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his
rhetorical abilities", in addition to his "style and substance." Powell
additionally called Obama a "transformational figure."[45][46] He was also
"troubled" by the "false intimations that Obama was Muslim." Powell stated
that "[Obama] is a Christian - He's always been a Christian...," and
continued, "But the really right answer is, what if he is? Is there
something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's
not America." Powell later stated, "I look at these kind of approaches to
the campaign, and they trouble me [...] Over the last seven weeks, the
approach of the Republican Party has become narrower and narrower."

This observation of the Republican Party's narrower approach is completely
consistant with the remarks I have previously posted by the NYTImes
columnist David Brooks. Powell also opined that the choice of Sarah Palin as
a running mate showed poor judgement by Sen McCain.

I frankly, see all the talk of "Joe the Plumber" and whether he is actually
a plumber as a bit off the subject.
We are at war in two countries.  The economy is in terrible shape by any
measure.  Health care insurance is not available to what, 40 million?,
Americans. We have no energy policy other than developing more fossil fuels.
Lots more people in the world hate us, than used to hate us. To borrow the
joke, my 401k is now a 201k.  The Republicans will not tell me who is going
to pay for the wars, bailouts, the health care, etc, except that apparently
they don't think "Joe the Plumber" should have to kick in his share.

And so we argue about whether gays and lesbians should be able to marry,
whether women in crisis prgnancys should be able to abort them, whether it
is OK to be a muslim-American, whether science or creation-science should
inform our students, and Rome continues to burn.

So getting back to Colin Powell, if Obama is OK with him he's OK with me.
Apparently, Powell (like most Americans) doesn't give a rat's ass about Mr.
Ayres.

Best,

Ben C.  "s/v Susan Kay"  Highlands, NJ