[Rhodes22-list] POLITICAL- Health Care and taxes

Tom Dorsey Tom at demaximis.com
Tue Oct 21 14:34:12 EDT 2008

Brad, Actually, it was a thoughtful response.  right or wrong, it responded to the question without name calling and without the need to condemn either side of the debate.  Personally, I don't like either plan but I had hoped that some of the more thoughtful among the group might provide some insight.

>From my perspective a tax on health care benefits would result in a substantial increase in taxes for those I know and the tax credit imposed would simply redistribute current income to everyone else.  I see little difference in this approach and any other type of tax credit.

Employers should be free to choose whether to provide such benefits and, right or wrong, the tax structure to date encourages the provision of employer based health financing (its not really insurance is it?).  The taxation of such benefits will undoubtedly change the way such benefits are provided.  I'm simply curious as to whether my understanding of the provision is at all similar to others and this list,certainly offers a plethora of opinions.

R. Thomas Dorsey
450 Montbrook Lane
Knoxville, TN 37919-2705
865-691-5052
865-691-9835 (fax)

>>> On 10/21/2008 at 1:16 PM, in message <400985d70810211016l1ad4a507mc372184d89490e1d at mail.gmail.com>, "Brad Haslett" <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:
Tom,

Actually, it wasn't all that thoughtful.  You live in Tennessee,
right?  Then you should be familiar with TennCare, that wonderful
"universal healthcare" that nearly broke the State's budget until Gov.
Bredesen, Dem. (who I voted for) substantially cut back the benefits
and eligibility. Every state that has tried it has run into the same
problem - people use their "free" benefits every time they fart
crossways because, hey, it's free. Medicare is wonderful for people
like my parents, retired on SS, but they carry supplemental insurance
as well because Medicare "fixes prices" on what they will pay and my
Mom & Dad couldn't use the doctors and facilities they want without
supplemental insurance. As is the case with any free market, when you
fix prices you reduce supply.

McCain's plan would tax those of us who have "gold-plated" health care
but it would be offset by the same tax credit that every citizen is
eligible for.  For me, it would be close to a wash if not a slight
increase in taxes.  For most who already have health insurance, it
would be a net gain.  For those who don't have coverage, they can use
the credit to purchase it.  Some young people may choose not to
participate - welcome to a free country.

If you think the US Post Office does a better job of moving packages
than FedEx or UPS, you'll love Obama's plan.

Brad