[Rhodes22-list] Legal: Ben Please Help

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Oct 21 17:14:06 EDT 2008

Ben,

My mother was born in NYC in 1917 to Dutch parents with a business in
the United States.  After WWI she went to Holland with her parents, and
enjoyed the benefits of Dutch citizenship.

In 1938, before her 21st birthday, her parents arranged for her to
return to the United States to claim her American Citizenship, which she
would otherwise have  lost, owing to her exercise of Dutch Citizenship.
She traveled to the United States on a US Passport, and remained here as
a United States citizen.

It was my understanding that she was not eligible to run for President
of the United States because she was a Dutch citizen as a child and had
to reclaim her American citizenship, and thus became a "naturalized"
rather than "native born" citizen.

Do I have this wrong?  Is there still a chance for my mother to become
President?

Bill Effros