[Rhodes22-list] Legal: Ben Please Help

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Oct 21 18:18:23 EDT 2008

Wow. In my mind, this whole thing was "settled" a long time ago. Now I'm
curious.

A funny story about this though. When I went to get my marriage license
back in '79, I took my birth certificate to the county registrar. She
looked at it, and the conversation with something like this:

She-Is this your birth certificate
Me-Yes ma'm (I was only 22, much more polite at the time)
She-It's in German
Me-Yes ma'am, I was born in Germany
She-But I can't read it.
Me-I'm sorry, but it's the only one I have. It was a German hospital,
that's what they spoke
She-I can't accept this
Me-Beg pardon?
She-I can't accept this.
Me-What do you mean you can't accept this?
She-I can't accept this. I can't read it.
Me-But ma'am, you can see where it has my name, you can see the word
Amerikanischer, you can see how the date matches this other form I have
- Report of Live Birth Abroad. THAT's in English
She-Yes, but the birth certificate is not (I think that being 22 and
still polite aside, had she said "alleged birth certificate" I might
have hit her by this time)
Me-Ma'am, this is my birth certificate. It is the only one I have. If I
ever managed to get another one, it too would be in German, because I
was born in Germany. The notion of being "born again" is purely a
metaphor, I can't really do it. So, if you would, please go get your
supervisor, so I can get my marriage certificate.

She did, and the supervisor looked at her like she was crazy. But it did
have me frustrated. I worked at a car dealership at that time, and was
so ticked at the lady that I backed my demo into a pole. Cost me $250
that I couldn't afford.

Anyway, probably not nearly as interesting as tossing around threats to
sue, but it DID have something to do with not being able to read what's
written, so I thought it remotely applicable.