[Rhodes22-list] ### Lifting 9.9 Four Stroke off boat while in water ###

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Oct 22 07:34:13 EDT 2008

Dan:

Notice my subject line - sometimes you need a fog horn to be heard.

I have a 8 hp 2 stoke for the very reason you have run into, weight.  Not
withstanding my motor weighing in about 60 pounds I attach a block to the
stern rail.  Then attach a heavy line to the motor handle and tie the line
off where it will be accessible while taking motor off.  While lifting motor
off, I have my wife work the line to loose as needed to move motor onto
dock.

So, even if you can get two strong arms on your motor, I suggest a safety
line with a third or forth person working the line until motor is safely on
dock.

Do you have an elevated piling near where you want to get the motor off?  If
yes, attach block to piling to make a motor lift.

Is it your own dock?  Make a vertical pole where you want to take motor off
at for permanent use as motor hoist.

Not your own dock?  Find way to make temporary hoist at location where you
want to take motor off at.  How?  Use large hose clamps to attach vertical
pole to any other vertical object.  Use Jim’s suggestion of some sort of
pivot that is see-saw to lift motor off.

Do you have Stan’s mast hoist?  Make attachment fitting on dock and use it
as motor crane.

Also, review the Boater’s Bible [aka West Marine Catalog] on page 649 for
harness to lift motor with.

My point is to make or use some sort of lift. If the device is yours, you
will have it to put motor back.

Also, removing motor while boat is on trailer is easiest way.  Do you have
trailer?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum:  “‘The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're
ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.” -  Ronald Reagan