[Rhodes22-list] sailing, launch, college football stream of conciousness post--NOW Poptop Sailing

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Oct 22 11:57:52 EDT 2008

Lee,
I think you will be surprised at how easy this is to do. I regularly do
this on my O'Day 25. On the other hand, I crew on a Hunter 356 in races.
It's got an in in-boom furling main. We only jib that way on it in very
light winds.

Leland wrote:
> Wally,
>
> Good tip.  In high winds it can be kind of stressful to do a controlled jibe
> by keeping tension on the boom by frantically pulling on the mainsheet with
> one hand while the other one is on the tiller.  This sounds easier.  Now
> that mention it, I might be able to reach out and grab the end of the boom
> before it catches on the backstay.  Definitely are advantages to sailing a
> small boat.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lee
>

> TN Rhodey-2 wrote:
>
>> Lee, A tip for keeping the boom out of the back stays when jibing....I
>> jibe
>> my R22 the same as a small dinghy....... grab hold of the main sheet
>> tackle
>> direct for controlled jibe rather than hauling in main sheet than letting
>> loose as you jibe. The slop in the mainsheet is what allows the boom to
>> rise.  Our main is small enough that this works. I am not sure if i
>> explained this well.....grab hold of then then release the main sheet
>> tackle...not the bitter end of the main sheet.
>>
>> Fair Winds,
>>
>> Wally
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Leland <LKUHN at cnmc.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> "Back to the hardware store."
>>>
>>> That's one of the things I hate most about home improvement projects.  It
>>> seems half of the work is driving back and forth to the hardware store.
>>> Might help if I knew what I was doing.  I really don't mind working on
>>> the
>>> boat as much as the house, it's just that I'd rather spend boat time
>>> under
>>> sail.  Glad you were finally able to get out and enjoy the excellent