[Rhodes22-list] spread the wealth

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Oct 22 13:54:12 EDT 2008

We will always have poverty. Jesus said that, and pretty much knew what
He was talking about.

When my oldest daughter was 14 (she's now 29, so it was 15 years ago),
she went on a mission trip to a small town near Monterey Mexico with our
church. We lived in the house we live in now. A modest house, was about
14 years old then, about 30 years old now. 3 bedroom house, about 2000
square feet, two car garage deliberately converted to a one car garage
with a 4th bedroom, now inadvertently converted to a storage room.
Pretty much your standard middle-class family.

Except, my daughters had friends that had houses much larger, with new
pools. My boss has a beautiful home that could be in Homes and Gardens,
with a disappearing horizon pool (I don't remember for sure if the pool
was redesigned later, but you get the point) and a 6 car garage that I
could almost get my house inside.

So, my daughters (the one I'm talking about and her 3 younger sisters)
would occasionally refer to our house as a "ghetto house". That's
because in "their world", it probably was, or possibly close to it. Not
new, smaller than many, and even though it had a pool, it was an old design.

Then Kim went to Mexico. It was a life-changing eye-opening experience
for her. She came back and said "Dad, there were families there that
lived in cardboard boxes". I know sweetheart. "No, Dad, I mean it,
entire families". Yeah kiddo, I understand. I'm glad you do now too.

My point is that "poverty" is relative. In this country, most of our
"poor" eat daily, have multiple television sets and cell phones, and
don't work.

I don't want my middle class wealth redistributed by the government.

I would much rather take my dollars, and decide to send them to Mexico,
where the families are living in boxes, but still rise every day to go
to the garbage dump and work all day sorting salvageable trash that they
can sell for pennies to try to feed their families.

And note, I'm using Mexico as an example, truth is that my
"redistributed wealth", that I CHOOSE to redistribute goes lots of
different places, some of it even in this country. I'd hate to count the
dollars I threw at NO LA.

That's the way it should be done, in my never to be called humble opinion.