[Rhodes22-list] Stinkpotting - Inquiring minds, Hank's query

Andrew Collins sailingvesselcarmen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 13:08:06 EDT 2008

Hank

Yes, sv Carmen has the mast down and is on the hard. Our dockmaster will not
allow any sails to be up on stored boats, not even IMF ones.

The stinkpot is a 16' Amesbury Dory, which is a high-sided fiberglass
lapstrake hard chined skiff with a flat bottom. I use it as a tender to get
out to the sailboat. One nice feature I was able to put on it is gunwale
guard all the way around. Then we use it for towing the kids on water toys
like 'blaster rings' and for fishing. This keeps them interested in boating
since the only way to get them on the sailboat is if we go gunkholing, which
is fine, but it is not sailing. The high sides make climbing in and out of
Carmen at the mooring a lot easier.

So, guilty on all charges.

One thing I found is that both Carmen and Freckle tend to horse, but in
opposite directions, so the gunwale guard really helps, and an additional
rear cleat on freckle with a line to the rear cleat on Carmen will keep them
in synch. For now I used the ring on the transom of Freckle and they move
together.

Freckle has a 20 HP Honda 4 stroke, which is more than the boat can handle
unless someone is being towed. The builder is Stur-Dee Boat out of Rhode
Island, all hand-built by a mother-daughter team.

Andrew
closet sailor
mv Freckle