[Rhodes22-list] Political reply to Ben C - you are kidding?

Benjamin Cittadino bigben65 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 26 00:34:55 EDT 2008

Herb;

I think it is important to point out that among the very first quotes you
cite from Sarah Palin as complimentary to her is from her convention
acceptance speech.  She quoted a "writer" (presumably a writer she admires)
who said, "we grow good people in our small towns...etc".
An innocuous enough statement, except that it was written by WESTBROOK
PEGLER. We must assume she is a fan of old PEGLER, don't you think?  I mean
why choose him to quote from if you don't follow his philosophy.  She could
have chosen from thousands of writers complimentary to small town life
(especially since she is so well read and intelligent, according to her
supporters)

Well, Herb look up Sarah's role model will you? He was among the most evil
people ever to walk in this great country. He was a virulent  racist and
anti-semite.  Ask Brad or Ed, they'll tell you.
The man was a "MORON", and an evil stinking waste of a human body.

Frank Rich had this to say on this subject recently in the NY Times:

No less disconcerting was a still-unexplained passage of Palin’s convention
speech: Her use of an unattributed quote praising small-town America (as
opposed to, say, Chicago and its community organizers) from Westbrook
Pegler, the mid-century Hearst columnist famous for his anti-Semitism,
racism and violent rhetorical excess. After an assassin tried to kill F.D.R.
at a Florida rally and murdered Chicago’s mayor instead in 1933, Pegler
wrote that it was “regrettable that Giuseppe Zangara shot the wrong man.” In
the ’60s, Pegler had a wish for Bobby Kennedy: “Some white patriot of the
Southern tier will spatter his spoonful of brains in public premises before
the snow falls.”

Sarah was sending a mesaage to us Herb.  Were you listening? I was.  I know
exactly where she stands. Now so do you. If you help her get elected you
will have no one to blame but yourself when she carries out her agenda.

Ben Cittadino

Frank Rich recently referred to this subject in the NYTimes as follows,