[Rhodes22-list] Herb's sailing trip

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Mon Oct 27 21:36:38 EDT 2008

A friend of mine from NO (Slidell actually), lost his boat that was
slipped across mine during Katrina. He used the insurance money to buy a
39' Allied Princess in Florida, and needed it to be moved to Houston. We
planned on 7 days, but had a little trouble with the diesel and had to
detour to Biloxi.

I had actually sailed my boat down the coast of Texas from Corpus
Christi to Port Isabel (and almost decided to move to Port Isabel in the
process), but that was the first time time to lose sight of land. There
is something almost magical about looking behind you, and suddenly
realizing that even the haze of the hotel buildings is gone, and all you
see is sky and water. I honestly believe that is what I was born for.

The waves glow at night in some areas with the luminance of the marine
life in them. We had flying fish literally fly into the cockpit (we
didn't eat them, though I asked if they were decent food). I was shocked
at the depth, and breadth, of the Gulf waters that turn from blue to
brown from the flow of the Mississippi. And there's something that
almost haunting to hear an oil platform's low moan of a warning siren
when your surrounded by darkness and a light fog. Another memory that
stands out clearly was watching a Carnival Cruise liner pass in the
darkness, lit up like a small city, and thinking to myself "Those people
think THAT'S a cruise...."

I've never been seasick in my life, and thought this would be a good
time to find how much I can take. Though we never had bad weather, the
second night out, it was VERY rough seas. The layout of the Allied
Princess doesn't have as much room as other boats the same size that
I've seen, and the "plan" was for the four of us was to alternate
between the two usable berths (one older guy couldn't stand watch, but
he was a great cook, and wanted to make one last sail, sadly, this was
it, he passed six months later, more on him in a moment). I was so
excited, I stayed awake all of the first night. The second night, the
rough sees night, I told them I was going to make room for myself in the
V-berth, so I wouldn't have to alternate berths. They all laughed and
said I'd last a night at the most.

I remember bedding down after my 10-2 (10pm, 2am) watch in 10' seas,
thinking "OK, this isn't so bad. Sort of like a ride at Six Flags. I'm
not sure I can sleep though...." Next thing I knew, it was 6:30, and the
cook was asking me if I wanted to eat breakfast or sleep all day. They
all laughed about how they could see air underneath me on some of the
waves, but I never stirred.

I had the last laugh, we had blueberry pancakes. ALL of them lost their
breakfast. I did not. I've still never been seasick. I hope for another
opportunity someday soon.

The cook (I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember his name), had major
heart surgery about 6 months prior. He was told that he would probably
not survive. He sold his two boats, and his retirement homes, to provide
for his wife.

Then he survived, and was boatless. He told the owner that he would like
to come with us for one final sail, but couldn't handle the rigors of
standing a regular watch. He would ride along, relieve briefly when
needed, but would cook all of our meals. This guy was amazing at what he
could cook on an alcohol stove, in a pitching boat on 10' seas. We ate
like kings, I kid you not. When we fixed the clogged fuel filters in
Biloxi, he begged off the rest of the trip. It was too hard on him, but
he thanked us profusely for the opportunity to sail again. I was proud
to have been a small part of giving that to another sailor.

On last funny story from the trip. Because I was (believe it or not) the
youngest of the remaining 3 (at 49 years old), I drew cooking duties.
I'm not a cook. My first morning, I said "Well guys, no blueberry
pancakes, but I've done my best. You've got two choices:

You can have scrambled egges

Or you can go hungry"

On the plus side, everyone kept breakfast down on that calm morning.

Anyone (OK, ALMOST anyone) needing help moving a boat across the water,
give me a shout. That was one of the best vacations I've had.