[Rhodes22-list] centerboard repair - cap sealant?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 11:38:55 EDT 2008

Saroj,

Welcome back to the list. I was wondering what had happened to you.

Rummy

In a message dated 10/28/2008 10:01:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
saroj at pathfind.net writes:

any  chance I can ask a question about the Rhodes22? LOL...

my centerboard  would not raise or lower so friend and I took the cap apart;
found that the  blocks had broken off the CB; scraped, sanded, and painted the
inside of the  cap, the well and the CB (all encrusted with barnacles).  We
have it put  back together except for the cap which has the gasket which was
already  there... appears in pretty good shape.  We modified some blocks which
was  challenging since the attachment area is so small.  Also did some
fiberglass repair on the CB and the keel.

Two questions:

- most  of the holes had screws but some had bolts... I assume that an
earlier owner  had stripped out the screw holes.  Is it likely that reusing the
screws  will provide sufficient pressure to prevent leaks or should we go to the
trouble of replacing all with bolts... I'd prefer not because there are so
many, but I don't want leaks obviously.

- what sealant should we use? I  took off the old sealant which was a blue
colored rubbery substance that came  off pretty easily from both sides.  Roger's
instructions said to use  silicone.  Is there a particular type or any old
stuff from Lowes?   If we use silicon, do we need to let it cure a little before
clamping down  100% to give it a chance to cure? (seems to me it requires air
to start the  curing process).  Has anyone used RTV... overkill for this
application?

I have searched and searched for the tech info material  that was created and
organized years ago with no luck.  Can someone give  me a URL for it or does
it no longer exist?

Thanks,  Saroj