[Rhodes22-list] Politiical- More Bad News About McCain Health Plan

Ben Cittadino bcittadino at dcs-law.com
Tue Oct 28 19:19:11 EDT 2008

AP ran this story today about the truth concerning the McCain Health Plan:

Obama jumps on McCain adviser's health remarks
By KEVIN FREKING (Associated Press Writer)
>From Associated Press
October 28, 2008 5:13 PM EDT
WASHINGTON - Barack Obama's presidential campaign claimed Tuesday that
comments by a top adviser to John McCain reinforced Obama's contention that
millions would be worse off if they lose employer-sponsored health coverage
and end up buying it themselves.

McCain wants to change the current income tax treatment of health insurance,
treating payments toward health insurance as taxable wages. In exchange,
individuals would get a $2,500 tax credit and families would get a $5,000
credit when buying health coverage.

Some health analysts say the Republican's plan would erode employer-based
health insurance coverage by encouraging younger, healthier workers to shop
around and find a better deal directly from an insurer in the individual
market. And, if those workers dropped employer coverage, some companies
would eliminate coverage entirely because of the costs associated with
insuring older or less healthy employees.

Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a domestic policy adviser for McCain, attempted to
assure that such a scenario would not occur, but gave Obama an opening.

"Why would they leave?" Holtz-Eakin said in a story published by
CNNMoney.com "What they are getting from their employer is way better than
what they could get with the credit."

Obama's campaign quickly seized on the comment. In remarks prepared for
delivery Tuesday in Harrisonburg, Va., Obama described Holtz-Eakin's
comments as a "stunning bit of straight talk, an October surprise from his
top economic adviser."

"(Holtz-Eakin) said that the health insurance people currently get from
their employer is and I quote 'way better' than the health care they would
get if John McCain becomes president," Obama said. "Now this is the point
I've been making since Sen. McCain unveiled his plan. It took until the last
seven days of this election for his campaign to finally admit the truth. But
hey, better late than never."

Holtz-Eakin said he was trying to say that the individual health insurance
market can be improved and that McCain has offered proposals to make it
better, but that the changes McCain seeks won't weaken employer-sponsored
health coverage.

"The question I answered was: 'Will the young and healthy leave their
generous employer-sponsored coverage as the Obama campaign claims?' My
response was that, obviously, if they had better coverage, they would not
change. The Obama campaign deliberately took the quote out of context. This
continues their disgraceful campaign," Holtz-Eakin said.

Obama campaign officials noted that an independent analysis by the Tax
Policy Center projects that McCain's plan would cause about 21 million
people to buy coverage in the individual market over the next 10 years, but
that 20 million would have lost or refused coverage through their employer.
The Tax Policy Center is a joint project of the Urban Institute and the
Brookings Institution, two think tanks.

"It's a bad deal to push people into the individual market because people
pay more for less," said Neera Tanden, Obama's domestic policy director. "So
what was astonishing is that Doug Holtz-Eakin basically agreed with Sen.
Obama that the individual market is a worse deal."

If anybody pays attention to this, McCain is toast.

Ben C.