[Rhodes22-list] centerboard repair - cap sealant? reply to Saroj -2nding Bob Keller's comment

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Oct 28 20:47:37 EDT 2008

Saroj,

I replied earlier today, and after seeing Bob Keller's post, reminded me
that I assisted tightening bolts on the cap under Stan's command and no
sealant was used.  Just directions to tighten all bolts a second time, and a
third time.  And it is a million, not a zillion.

Stan does sell replacement gaskets.  If yours has never been replaced, it
will probably be worth the pieces of eight that the Commodore collects.
With your location, drive down and get one.  Save time and postage.  Rose is
the shipping clerk, consider saving her the agrivation of looking for a box
to ship it in.

Keep in mind that Stan offers overnight accomodations at the Spitzer Hilton.
Just take your woolies with you.

Ed K

Saroj,
One more point.  If your gasket is in bad shape it might be best to get a
new one from Stan.
Bob K> From: r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com> To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:28:39 -0400> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list]
centerboard repair - cap sealant? reply to Saroj> > > Saroj,> Greetings - I
wanted to give you some feedback because I have a bit of experience with the
CB (I am on my second) and the trunk. I had lots of problems with mine but
now it is functioning perfectly. Definitely use all through bolts (not
screws) on the trunk. Have to tighten them all around - there is no shortcut
that I know of (except a power ratchet) but it is critical for the water
tight seal you need. And do not use any sealant at all. The rubber gasket
and the CB trunk that it sits on should be cleaned thoroughly with acetone
so there is good contact between them. Then just tighten down the bolts, put
the boat in the water and inspect that it is a watertight seal. If you see
some drips, just tighten the bolts where you see the drips and they should
stop. Then when you have a good seal you can close up the trunk and you
should be good to go. I believe that Stan will agree with this since he was
insistent with me that no sealant should be used. The sealant just makes it
more difficult to open it later if needed.> > Hope that helps.> Best
Regards,> Bob K> Yankee Clipper>