[Rhodes22-list] Handling Gusts

Paul Krawitz krawitzmail-rhodes22 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 13:32:13 EDT 2008

Mike W.,

Regarding barnacles and mussels on our north shore of Long Island
preventing the centerboard from dropping, the solution I found after
years of having the same problem was to have the Rhodes stored high
during the off-season to allow the centerboard to hang free, then have
the marina powerwash the centerboard trunk, and spray and paint the
inside of the trunk with two fresh coats of anti-fouling paint.

Once I started doing this annually, the centerboard/daggerboard never
failed to drop completely during sailing season.

Paul K
"Clarity"

------------
As an aside, I was unable to drop my centerboard the last two times we
went out, causing a lot of side slippage when on a broad reach. On
labor day, when the wind died, we anchored off Short Beach (Smithtown,
NY) to go swimming and I went under and looked at the bottom.  I found
a few barnacles that were easily knocked off and tons of very small
muscles in large groups of seaweed stuck to the hull.  I do not
remember seeing this kind of growth before (in 28 years!)  The muscles
look almost like a "hand" of grapes.  Has anyone else in the NE (LIS)
seen this?

I knocked off much of the sea life with the scraper side of the
mop/broom/brush.  We have since been able to cruise at normal speeds,
although I was unable to free the board.  Must be something stuck in
the centerboard trunk or a problem with the line or blocks.  If I
can't free it in the water, I will be servicing the CB this winter
while on the hard (I think we're due for a major service anyway,
replacing line and blocks.)

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY