[Rhodes22-list] By way of introduction, Ahoy, and request for advice

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Tue Apr 7 18:57:34 EDT 2009

Andy,

It looks to me like the fix isn't too bad,If the leak is indeed between
the Inspection plate and the centerboard cap  mating Fiberglass parts or
out of the three bolts holding the blocks under the inspection plate. I
would proceed as follows:
1- block up center board
2- uncleat center board pendent
3- remove the screws retaining the fiberglass inspection plate
4- carefully remove the Inspection plate and mark the fore and aft block
so you can put them back in order. You should have enough line to pull the
plate about a foot off the cap to get at the bolt heads under the plate
5- unbolt the blocks and secure them so they don't fall in the inspection
hole
6- clean the fiberglass mating surfaces and inspect for cracks and/or
stripped out holes in the CB cap
7- if everything looks good,fashion a gasket for the inspection plate
8- check the inspection plate at the block attachment holes for cracks and
make a new gasket for the block bolts.
9-make a stainless steel backing plate for the block bolts
10- reassemble
10.5- slide the inspection plate gasket past the secured blocks and let it
lay on top of the CB cap
11- coat the bolts and block mounts generously with sealant before
installing in the bottom of the plate,seal the top gasket and the S.S.
plate before securing the nuts.
12- coat both
 sides of the Inspection plate gasket with sealant and screw down the
plate on the cap
That should do it.
One more thing,at relaunch,make sure the Center board is all the way UP
and CLEATED before backing down the ramp.
good luck,and welcome,

Jerry Lowe

'86 Country Rhodes