[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Pump Question

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Dec 22 20:11:15 EST 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 14:45, Lowe, Rob wrote:
> Caesar,
> I've got an automatic one, but leave it turned off except when I
> first get on the boat where I turn it on (if I remember, I get so
> little water on the boat that I usually forget).  Mine runs to the
> sink drain where it T's in just below the sink.  You need to run the
> bilge drain line so that it loops up above that point or you run the
> risk of water coming back in through the through hull when heeled
> over to starboard.  I'll send photos tomorrow if needed.  What I
> don't like about automatic pumps is they work off a float.  When the
> float signals the pump to stop, there is still some water in the
> drain line that drains back into the bilge, which tells the pump to
> come on again, and it can continue to cycle.  I had one that (I
> think) cycled like that and burned the pump out. So now I just use
> my automatic one manually. - rob

I also have an automatic pump - a Rule 750 as I recall.  Self-
contained float switch and electronics.  It has some nice features
like built in delays so it doesn't constantly cycle on and off and an
auto cutoff when it runs dry.  My boat is connected to power at my
dock, so I don't worry about the battery getting discharged.  My port
lights leak like the devil when it rains so the bilge pump gets a good
workout.  It has a dedicated drain line that exits just under the rub
rail.  I don't know if there is a check valve in the line to prevent
backwash when heeled over hard.  Haven't traced it all the way to see.

Cheers!
John Lock