[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22 in the Virgin Islands

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:45:52 EST 2009

Tom,  That is an interesting question.  I have always pictured myself doing some coastal cruising in my r22 in US waters but never envisioned sailing the boat in the conditions around the USVI.  The principle differences are that the area has sustained winds >20 kts over deep water with moderate fetch.  The distance between islands varies but 10 to 20 ml from one to the next.  Before I get too specific let me just say that the Rhodes 22 could get you around just fine.  Compared to no boat - it is a great alternative.  Compared to the cost of a boat built for the conditions (45' + boat which the average person can't afford to buy, slip and maintain) it is a great alternative.  The short comming is purely the size of the boat.  Messing with 4 to 6 foot swells in a 22 foot boat is a lot different (slower and potentially dangerous) than in a boat twice the size.  The distance between ports will exasperate the slowness and further exposes you to weather threats.  This boat is not meant to "Ship" water and a skilled & prudent skipper should be able to avoid that in 95% of the conditions you are likely to experiece there.  If you are worried about the 5%, there are "Ocean rated" boats under 25 feet.  You would miss out on all the great features of the R-22.

Bob Weber