[Rhodes22-list] trailer camping and anti-sway bar

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jul 15 07:43:22 EDT 2009

Rich
We have never used the Rhodes as a camper but have trailered it back
and forth from PA to MD (back when we lived in PA) and do a fair
amount of traveling with a travel trailer. As Ron said, you still
need adequate tongue weight. Once you get the tongue weight you don't
have the fishtailing.

The biggest barrier I can see to using it as a camper is that with
the mast on the bow and the crutch support for travelling you can't
raise the pop-top and that it is at least a 6 foot climb on and off
the boat. That said, it would certainly be doable. It just wouldn't
be as nice as staying on the boat when the boat is in the water. When
loaded properly the boat trailers wonderfully. We never felt the need
for an anti-sway device back when we towed distances with a Chevy
Blazer. We haven't towed it any distance with the current Nissan
Frontier pick-up but I would think it would be even better.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD