[Rhodes22-list] steaming light fun .... mystery partially solved ... curiouser & curiouser

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu May 14 11:53:28 EDT 2009

Mike,

Using LEDs not only reduces the current draw but it also prevents "back
feeding" of lighting circuits.  This occurs most frequently when you lose a
ground connection and the "return path" for a circuit is through additional
loads, typically through a corrosion point.  The symptom is a bunch of
seemingly unrelated dim lights that all seem to go on when a particular
circuit is energized.  Since LEDs are basically diodes, they only permit
current to flow in one direction and help troubleshooting loss of ground
return problems.

Ah, Plan B ... yep, sailors do have lots of options ...

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Mike Cheung" Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:09 AM