[Rhodes22-list] advice needed from litigious Rhodies

Chris Cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Thu Nov 5 08:58:18 EST 2009

Stan:

I think you can work around the legal issues probably as you suggest having owners bring their boats to you for after market modifications.  I also think this is a great business idea in order to create opportunities for your current staff and facilities to create more product for an expanding market.  I am concerned that if you are successful with this effort that Catalina might pick up on the idea and begin to offer many of the same ideas you are offering direct to their owners both for new and upgrade products.  Does it make sense to explore some sort of business agreement with Catalina that they agree to direct promote current owners looking for upgrades to General Boats and also offer new buyers the option of having General Boats products/design ideas incorporated into their new boats as options?  Not sure how you would want to work out the legal/financial parts of the deal and or the logistics of who and were new boat options are installed.  This partnering idea might allow you to expand your current business idea into a larger more protected market.  Catalina has a fairly impressive marketing program and clientele base that the R22 GB business could tap into.

http://www.catalinayachts.com/pdf/Bay_c250.pdf

Christopher P. Cowie

4400 MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300