[Rhodes22-list] Demasting

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Aug 16 11:39:55 EDT 2010

Recall that Slim had a chain plate pull when he ran into a power line when he was retrieving his boat.  After consulting with Stan, here is the repair he came up with.  I have had the same problem and am in the middle of a similar repair.  Below are pictures of Slim's repair.  My photos are still in the camera but I will post soon.

The chain plates that attach to the cabin top do not go straight down so that you could inspect them by removing the ports.  They actually bend and are bolted to the cabin roof.  Mine chain plate pulled due to water leakage through the plate which rotted away the plywood and rusted out the mounting screw.

Slim (and I) chose to remount the chain plate to the side of the cabin top by installing blocking and bolting though the blocking and side of the cabin top.  - rob

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e8461/attachment-0001.jpg

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e8461/attachment.jpg

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080828/739e8461/attachment-0002.jpg